Friday, March 14, 2008

Tina Crabtree Sailing Information

I love being at sea. There is just something magical about a long passage despite the hard work. Life is so simple and focused. When I turned 50, I decided to get sailing back into my life. I grew up sailing to Catalina on a wooden Folkboat. I took a bunch of ASA courses, joined a SF Bay sailing club and began seeking out opportunities for passage making. In May 2006, I went on the Mahina from Acapulco to Panama. In March 2007, I helped deliver Barking Spider from Puerto Vallarta to San Diego. In July 2007, I joined the all women crew of the Alaska Eagle for the Oahu to Tahiti Leg. Altogether, I’ve stood watches for 5000 blue water miles in the last 2 years.

My dear husband of 30 years does not share my interest in sailing. He did give it an honest try and was aboard the Barking Spider for the Baja Bash. But he just doesn’t get-it. Neither do our two adult children. So I’m kind alone with this dream of cruising the world and must find ways to sail on other people’s boats.

I do not have a specific area of expertise. I am a fast learner and capable crewmember. I am confident that I can get along with anyone and handle the challenges of a delivery from Hawaii to San Francisco. My heavy weather experience is limited to tropical squalls. Every boat is different and I respect the skipper’s decisions and follow orders to the best of my ability. Ideally, I do best when I know the why of something, not just the what. After all, life is one grand learning experience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Tina! You rock! I am very proud to say that you are my crazy aunt that is set on sailing the world, when most of us landlubbers would, and do, get sick just thinking about sailing. I admire your determination and perseverance. Not many women over 50 would even consider themselves as capable and confident as you. I can only hope that I am as energetic and fulfilled as you when I am your age. Not that you're old or anything:) You know what you're doing; show 'em how its done! Hugs from your admiring neice, Aura

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina, Captain Myers, and crew! I have been thinking about you constantly, wishing I was there. After reading your blogs I can only conclude this was an AWESOME sail! I really really wanted to sail with all of you, but unfortunately, my schedule and commitments could not be changed. Hopefully, in the future, the timing will work for me. In the meantime, I would love to know where and when you'll be docking on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

The anonymous message just before this one was from Carol Keiper.

gobajacharters said...

Gobajacharters is one of the few sailing schools in Baja that can offer you the very best ASA Sailing in Baja lessons.