Saturday, June 7, 2008

0600, Saturday, 7 June 2008

33N47, 150W10, C039M, S6.3, motor sailing

San Francisco 1366 Nm, Kaneohe 840 Nm
136 Nm in the last 24 hours

More than 1/3 of the way.

Yesterday was absolutely glorious. All morning we charged along (as usual) with Cirrus feeling like the old work horse that knows it's headed for the barn at the end of the day. The wind still steady at 20 but clocking down more and more toward San Francisco. I happened to glance at the GPS "Time to Go" and "Oh my God!" we were in single digits. The computer was predicting that we would be in San Francisco in 9 days.

Then, around noon, the wind started to fall off and by 1400 we were down to about 15 knots. We cracked off a little. and Cirrus (true to form) was still doing 7.6 knots. (And the TTG is still 9 days.)

In the lighter wind the seas dropped to 1-2 ft, the clouds (what there were) all went away. What a glorious day.

This morning at 0400 the wind reversed direction a couple times (causing the auto pilot to have a fit) and then died. So now we are motoring with the apparent wind from ahead at the same speed as the boat speed. As I'm typing this the wind just kicked back in. That's probably going to be the story for the rest of the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina and shipmates. I've never blogged so I don't know if this is going to work.
It's great to get the "blow by blow" details of your sail. With a lot of imagination I can almost put myself there with you. Close enough anyway, if you get my meaning.
I think I more or less understand the routing dilemma. It appears you've decided to go above the High?
I sent an email but I don't know if it got to you so: on a personal note, things are fine here at home. Tina, I hope you arent't too dissappointed if I can't make it to see you arrive. Dylan and I are going camping June 14 and be back June 17 PM. We need to do this. Dylan is really looking forward to it and has worked so hard in school. So if you keep up your current great progress you may arrive when we are gone. Mara will meet you. I will fill her in on the blog, port etc. Her cell # is 707-217-7474 Mine is 707-484-5567.

Love, Jim